The ruins of the Ekenstein castle
The castle ruins are located on the very top of a gentle ridge South-East of Velenje in the hamlet of Gorica, close to the Šalek castle. The castle was first mentioned in 1282. Until the 15th century it belonged to the Carinthia diocese of Krka. In the 17th century the castle was under a number of different owners but was not inhabited and began slowly to deteriorate. Today only ruins of the Ekenštajn castle remain and a few fragmented pieces of the castle wall, which bear witness to the castle’s medieval design.